Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia
Do you have problems falling asleep, staying asleep, or waking up too early? Does tossing and turning and excessive worrying keep you up at night? Have you noticed that you have less energy, a lower mood, and you feel fatigued during the day? If so, then you may benefit from Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia (CBT for Insomnia). CBT for Insomnia is a little-known and highly effective therapy with 60-80% of individuals who complete it experiencing a therapeutic response.
The American College of Physicians recommends that all adults receive cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia as the initial treatment for chronic insomnia. CBT for Insomnia is a short-term therapy that typically lasts 6 to 8 weeks. Benefits from CBT for Insomnia extend beyond sleep health and have been shown to help with mood, memory, cognition, blood pressure, and glucose regulation.
Common signs of insomnia
- – Difficulty with falling asleep, staying asleep, or early awakenings
- – Disrupted sleep from tossing and turning and excessive worry
- – Lower energy level, daytime fatigue and decreased mood
- – Dreading going to sleep and feeling wide awake upon entering the bed
What to expect from CBT for Insomnia
- You will collaborate with your therapist to gain a full understanding of all the possible factors that are impacting your sleep
- You will learn a personalized and data driven approach that targets the patterns underlying your unique sleep difficulties
- Access to the science-backed knowledge and skills to set yourself up for consistent, quality, and restorative sleep
- Renewed trust in your body’s ability to sleep
How we can help
Whether you have been struggling with sleep for a few months or a few decades, CBT for Insomnia can help. Together we will explore the factors that perpetuate your unique sleep difficulties, and then use science-backed tools to address them. After completing CBT for Insomnia, the goal is for you to be confident of how to meet your body’s unique sleep needs so that you can experience consistent, high-quality, and restorative sleep for the rest of your life. My hope is that completing this treatment will provide you with the energy to live each day meaningfully.
I look forward to using CBT for Insomnia to offer you the tailored knowledge and skills to help you become your own sleep expert. CBT for Insomnia is effective for those who wish to use sleep medicine and for those who are working with a prescribing practitioner to taper off of sleep medicine.
If you or a loved one is struggling with insomnia in any of its forms, then take the first step to finding help and get in touch.