Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Tinnitus
Do you notice constant ringing, buzzing, hissing, or pulsing sounds throughout the day? Do you experience strong reactions such as irritability, hopelessness, depression, and anxiety in response to these sounds? Have you been struggling with tinnitus-related sleep disturbances? If so, then supplementing the plans you’ve made with your audiologist with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Tinnitus (CBT for Tinnitus) may be helpful for you. CBT for Tinnitus has been shown to help lower the suffering that accompanies tinnitus by offering essential information and proven skills to help respond effectively to tinnitus.
Common ways tinnitus shows up
- – Irritability, anxiety, or depression related to tinnitus
- – Sleep disturbances
- – Avoiding certain sounds or environments
- – Difficulty with concentration or attention
What to expect in Tinnitus counseling
- Your therapist will work closely with you to learn about your hearing distress and collaboratively find an effective way towards tinnitus habituation.
- You will learn ways of getting unhooked from thoughts, behaviors, and beliefs that are shown to increase tinnitus-related distress, depression-related thought patterns, and behavioral patterns so you can fully engage with the things that are important to you.
- Reliable information about tinnitus will be made available to you so you can dispel tinnitus myths and develop an informed relationship with tinnitus.
How we can help
No matter what form your distress from tinnitus takes, CBT counseling for tinnitus can help. Together we will explore your individual reactions to tinnitus and reflect on what is working and what is not working, so that you can consciously respond in a way that helps. We will build a safe, caring, and non-judgmental relationship which serves as the foundation from which we address all facets of your tinnitus. At the end of therapy, the goal is for you to feel confident that you are on the path to living with tinnitus as you take steps towards habituation.
We look forward to helping you dispel the myths and beliefs that sustain tinnitus-related suffering. While there are no ways to completely eliminate tinnitus, we are excited to offer the tools that are shown to help. If you or a loved one is troubled by tinnitus, then take the the first step to finding help and connect.